Tuesday 3 April 2012

The 'New Me' and Peanut Butter Blossoms







So the post exam honeymoon period is over and I'm no longer content watching continuous hours of bad TV. This is my 'New Year' where I start making resolutions and setting goals. The fact that I do this every time I finish exams and am consistent only in failing to achieve any of the targets I set has not fazed me this time around. No because the 'new me' is going to follow through this time. I have already bought the yoga mat and downloaded 100 books to read before you die. Not only will I be trim and lean but I will be the renaissance (wo)man of literary appreciation and taste. I'm aiming for the body of Elle McPherson and the mind of Stephen Fry. Not an immodest goal. Hmmh... Will keep you posted.

I ordered Hershey's kisses from the US when the girls were on holidays for the sole purpose of making these adorable cookies. If you don't have the kisses you could always use a couple of chocolate chips or just make the cookies without the topping. The cookie is light and flaky with a heavy peanutty taste.

110g unsalted butter softened
60g caster sugar
75g light brown sugar (dark would be too bitter here)
170g smooth peanut butter
1 egg lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
200g plain flour sifted
1/4 tsp salt

1. Beat sugar and butter together until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the peanut butter and beat for 2 minutes until smooth.
2. Add a little beaten egg and a heaped tablespoon of flour and beat until incorporated. Continue until all the egg is used up. Beat in the vanilla extract.
3. Sift the flours together in a bowl. Add to the rest of the ingredients and beat gently and quickly.
4. Roll into large 1 inch balls. Pour a couple of tablespoons onto a plate and roll the the dough balls. Place on a greased sheet.
5. Bake in a 180oC oven for 8-10 minutes until golden.
6. Take out of the oven and immediately push a hershey's kiss on the top. Do it gently, you don't want to split the cookie.
7. Allow to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment