Tuesday 4 December 2012

Spinach and Kale Smoothie


Does it ever happen to you that a song comes on the radio or your mp3 and you feel that right in that moment, for as long as the song is on, your life could be a scene in a movie? It has happened to me a few times this week. I think its the kale I've been sneaking into my breakfast. Before you tut tut in disgust of cabbage based breakfast I will tell you that the most cynical of all persons, Mr Mushroom Hater gave this smoothie an enthusiastic seal of approval after initially expressing his revulsion in no uncertain terms. It tastes sweet and fruity, the peanut butter giving a light nutty flavour. There is no way you would guess there was kale or spinach in it! Think of all that iron, vitamins, anti-cancerous properties etc. you are getting into your step.

This is slightly adapted from Joy the Baker Book which I bought recently. I love her blog- more on the book later!

1 cup kale, thick stems removed and roughly chopped
1 cup spinach leaves
1/2 cup low fat natural yogurt
1/2 cup low fat milk
1 tsp honey
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 banana

Method:
1. Blitz the kale and spinach with the milk until smooth. It will take a while.
2. Add the honey, banana, yogurt and peanut butter and blend until smooth.

3 comments:

  1. What's kale? Also would this be filling enough for brekkie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kale Is cabbage! Totally filling, even col said so ans he has a ridiculous appetite! I make it for the boys the night beforehand! Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kale Is cabbage! Totally filling, even col said so ans he has a ridiculous appetite! I make it for the boys the night beforehand! Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete