Tuesday 5 February 2013

Lychee Macarons with an Earl Grey Dark Chocolate Ganache



"Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free..."
Mumford and Sons, Sigh no More 


Just thought I'd put that song lyric out there.... It's good isn't it? 

I am moving back to the city, embracing the adult world with nervous laughter and starting my first law-related "proper" job. Obviously I am going to have less time to bake. Currently I bake like I leisurely lunch, eating ingredients as I go, turning off the electric beaters when a song I like comes on the radio so I can sing along and generally wandering around the kitchen in aimless circles. In the future I might have to focus my mind a little more and be more organised with ingredients. 

Macarons are one bake that cannot be rushed. They need, hell they deserve plenty of attention while baking. See my macaron adventures here and here if you are looking for a reliable recipe and tips. 

So although I've been prolific in the baking of macarons in the last two weeks, I thought I'd have one last hurrah while I have the time this weekend. 

Lychee fruit come in tins from the Asian food store. They are floral and sweet with rose tones and nicely contrasted without being taken over by the bitter dark chocolate. I added earl grey flavour to the ganache to mirror that fragrance of the lychees. Bear in mind the lychees will make the macarons soft in the centre so eat on the day of making or the next day.

Earl Grey Ganache (enough to sandwich 40 macarons made with this recipe)- Inspired by the macarondiaries blog

200ml double cream
2 Earl Grey Teabags
200g dark chocolate

1. Heat the cream with the tea bags in a small pan over a medium heat until just below boiling. Keep poking at the tea bags until the earl grey flavour comes out, colouring the cream brown. When the cream comes to below boiling take out the teabags and squeez, let fall into the cream, take out and squeez again a few times.
2. Take off the heat and add the chopped chocolate. Stir until smooth and melted. Leave to cool in the fridge for half hour.
3. Pipe a circle of macarons half a cm from the edge of one macaron. Slice a lychee in three and put one third in the centre of the circle. Top with the other macaron and press gently down.
4. Eat within 48 hours. 

1 comment:

  1. That macaron looks perfection !

    Good luck with the adult world....don't work too hard . We need you back baking !!!!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete